They were baffled by science during the next experiment. Mr Oakey placed a balloon (not blown up) over a naked flame and the children watched as it melted and burnt. However, when he placed water inside an identical balloon and held it over the flame it didn't burn through the balloon and release the water. It remained intact whilst the flame was touching the balloon! The children have been reminded that they should not experiment with fire at home!
Next, the children had a go at making a small fire using flint and steel. Most were successful. Mr Oakey was so impressed with the resilience and 'can do' attitude shown by the children during this task- everyone was on a mission to succeed.
They then went through fire safety and discussed how to stay safe around fire and what to do if you ever encountered a room full of smoke. A life lesson that hopefully will never be needed but reassuring that the children will know what to do (lie down on the carpet as the smoke is thicker the higher up you are). They went on to cook corn on a larger fire and all children now know the science behind ' why corn pops'. Marshmallows were a hit and some children used descriptive sentences to describe the fire.
The meandering ghost-like smoke drifted through the bony branches as it lifted towards to ocean blue sky.
Click here for more information.